GAFFNEY, S.C. – The No. 8 University of Tampa men's lacrosse team fell to No. 1 Limestone College in a national semifinal match-up.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Limestone Saints 12, Tampa Spartans 10
Records: Tampa (15-5), Limestone (20-1)
Location: Saints Field l Gaffney, S.C.
All-time Series: Limestone now leads the series 9-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first goal of the game came from the Tampa's Jake Mosher McGraw with an assist from Andrew Kew.
- After a penalty on Tampa, Limestone acted and had their first goal of the game.
- Conor Whipple answered back with an unassisted goal at 10:43.
- The Saints answered back with two goals to take a lead going to the second period.
- The Saints had the first goal at 14:43 to take a two-goal lead.
- Jake Schmidt fired to bring the deficit to only one goal.
- Yet two more Saints goals in man-up situation gave them a lead of 7-4 before half-time.
- Tampa's Whipple with an assist from Bryan Wright opened the second half.
- Limestone answered with three goals to take a lead of 10-5.
- Mosher McGraw had his second goal of game at 6:18, assisted by Kew.
- Schmidt had his second goal with an assist from Kew with 29 seconds left to decrease the Saint's lead to 10-7.
- Whipple had the first goal of the period to bring the Tampa goal tally to 8.
- The Saints would answer back with a goal of their own.
- Another goal from Whipple at 4:35 made it 11-9.
- The Saints responded again.
- Despite a fight back with a goal from Schmidt assisted by Whipple, Tampa fell by a final score of 12-10.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Whipple led all Spartans in point with five (four goals and one assist).
- Schmidt tallied three goals while Mosher McGraw had two.
- Luke Posner and Wright tied for a team high five ground balls today.
- Charlie Cummins, Jack Tyrrell and Posner each had two caused turnovers.
- A.J. Arnold had eleven saves in net.