INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final Score: Tampa Spartans 70, Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish 63
Records: Tampa (12-2, 5-2 SSC), PBA (2-12, 1-7 SSC)
Location: Bob Martinez Athletic Center | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the series 21-3.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1st Quarter | Tampa started the first quarter lead with a pair of free throws due to an early PBA technical foul. The Spartans would then go on an 8-0 run with baskets from Rachel Warden, Molly Franson, Karma Jeremie and Staja Tyghter. The Sailfish shot 37.5 percent from the field thanks to the Tampa defense. UT shot 2-3 from 3-point range and a total of 7-15 from the floor.
2nd Quarter | The Spartans offensive attack slowed down a bit in the second quarter of play. Palm Beach Atlantic outscored Tampa in the 2nd quarter 13-12 but Tampa still managed to keep a 13-point lead late into the half. Senior Faith Sanders shot a perfect 3-3 including a 3 pointer for the Tampa, She also led the Spartans with 9 points for the half.
3rd Quarter | The offensive effort for Tampa cranked up early in the 3rd extending the lead over PBA to 11. The Spartans would shoot 54.6 percent while also connecting on a pair of 3-pointers. 2 3-pointers from Warden and a layup from Jeremie would give Tampa its largest lead of the afternoon at 16 points. Tampa would outscore the Sailfish 16-10 in the third.
4th Quarter | Palm Beach Atlantic began the 4th quarter on the attack minimizing the Spartans lead to just 1 point, Scoring 15 points in just 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Tampa would outshoot PBA 77.8 to 70.6 but PBA would outscore the Spartans 28-22 in the fourth. Warden would score 12 points and finish as the Spartans leading scorer with 26.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Warden finished with a team-leading 26 points and a perfect 6 for 6 from the free throw line, She now has passed her UT career high of 23 points.
- Franson followed Tampa shooting 6-8 from the free throw line.
- Four different Spartans scored in double figures as Jeremie and Sanders both pitched in 11 points.
- Jeremie and Sanders also led the team in rebounds at six apiece.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tom Jessee is approaching another milestone as the 16th year Spartan head coach now stands at 485 career wins.
- With this win, the Spartans are now on a 3-game streak versus the PBA Sailfish.
- This is the first time in the past four games where 4 of the 5 of UT's starters scored in double figures.
Tampa will travel up to Rollins to face the Tars in another SSC showdown, in Winter Park, Florida on Wednesday, January 10 at 5:30 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AN EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.