TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 16 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the No. 20 Rollins College Tars by a final score of 13-12. The University of Tampa is now 11-4 on the 2019 season, 5-0 in the SSC.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UT Spartans 13, RC Tars 12
Records: Tampa (11-4, SSC 5-0), RC (8-4, SSC 2-3)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans have never lost against the Tars. Tampa now leads the all-time series with Rollins 10-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- To start the game, it was UT on the board first with back-to-back goals from Colin White and Matt Vetter. White was assisted by Jake Mosher McGraw while Vetter was assisted by Chris Cox.
- Rollins then earned their first goal of the contest.
- White answered with his second goal on the night. Once again he was assisted by Vetter.
- The Tars scored once more before Vetter himself earned the last UT goal of the period.
- Heading into the second period the Spartans were led the Tars 4-2.
- Rollins started the second fast, earning two goals and tying the game.
- With 7:55 left in the half, Mosher McGraw netted one off the assist by Andrew Kew.
- The Spartans then scored the last three goals of the first half.
- Bryan Wright earned the first, followed by a goal by Mosher McGraw from Vetter, and a goal by Vetter from Kew.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Tars 8-4.
- Rollins scored five unanswered goals in the third period.
- Finally, Tampa's first and only goal of the third came from Andrew Kew with 3:47 on the clock.
- At the end of the third period, the game was tied at 9.
- The Tars scored the first two goals of the fourth period.
- Bryan Wright then scored with 8:00 left in the contest.
- Rollins scored once more giving them the 12-10 lead.
- The last three goals of the contest were scored by UT.
- Jake Mosher McGraw earned back-to-back goals from Vetter and Chris Cox respectively.
- Cox himself scored the game-winning goal off the assist by Colin White.
- The No. 16 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the No. 20 Rollins College Tars by a final score of 13-12.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Jake Mosher McGraw had an outstanding game for UT, leading the offense with four goals and one assist. Following his efforts was that of Matt Vetter who ended the contest with three goals and three assists.
- On defense, Colin White and Sam Collingwood each had two caused turnovers. White also had two goals and an assist in the contest.
- Ross Dickerson went 11-22 off the faceoff X. He led the team in ground balls with 7.
- While B.J. Borowski started at keeper for the Spartans, it was Bryan Karn who was Tampa's unsung hero. Karn faced nine shots and recorded six saves.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will host the Lynn University Fighting Knights on Saturday, April 13th. The game is slated to begin at 8:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.