FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – The No. 1 ranked University of Tampa Spartans baseball team split a doubleheader with the Nova Southeastern University Sharks. Tampa finished 2-1 in the season series.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Game One Final: Nova Southeastern 7, No. 1 Tampa 4
Game Two Final: No. 1 Tampa 6, Nova Southeastern 3
Records: Tampa 9-2 (8-1 SSC), Nova Southeastern 1-5 (1-5 SSC)
Location: NSU Baseball Complex | Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series 48-21.
HOW IT HAPPENED — GAME ONE:
- Nova Southeastern opened the scoring with three runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. | 3-0 NSU
- The Spartans responded, adding two runs in the fifth. E.J. Cumbo singled up the middle to score Jose Cadenas; Drew Ehrhard doubled to left field scoring Nicholas Winkelmeyer. | 3-2 NSU
- J.D. Urso reached first on a fielding error and Luke Glancy advanced to third and scored on the error to tie the game in the top of the sixth. 3-3 Tied
- The Sharks ripped three runs in the bottom of the sixth to take the lead. | 6-3 NSU
- The Sharks scored on an error in the bottom of the eighth, extending their lead. | 7-3 NSU
- Jamarcus Lyons doubled to score Ehrhard. | 7-4 NSU
HOW IT HAPPENED — GAME TWO:
- The Spartans struck first from an infield fly by Dan Sullivan. E.J. Cumbo scored, unearned. | 1-0 Tampa
- Nicholas Winkelmeyer ripped a double to right field to score Christian Flint in the second. | 2-0 Tampa
- Another double, this time by Josh Rulli, scored Drew Ehrhard in the third inning. | 3-0 Tampa
- The Spartans added two runs in the top of the fourth: Winkelmeyer on a passed ball and a two-run shot by John Malcom that scored Cumbo. | 6-0 Tampa
- Nova Southeastern scored the games final three runs. | 6-3 Tampa
INSIDE THE STATS — GAME ONE:
- Jose Cadenas hit a perfect 3-for-3 and walked once.
- E.J. Cumbo, Drew Ehrhard, and Jamarcus Lyons all logged an RBI.
INSIDE THE STATS — GAME TWO:
- Nicholas Winkelmeyer continued his strong day at the plate, going 3-for-4 with an RBI.
- John Malcom went 1-for-2 in the second showing, launching a two-run shot. He also walked twice.
- Josh Rulli also hit 1-for-2 from the plate, adding an RBI.
- Eric Linder moved to 3-0 on the season, allowing only one run in four innings worth of work.
- Jordan Leasure earned his second save of the year, striking out seven sharks in just two innings.
UP NEXT: The Spartans are back home Thursday for the first of a three-game series with the Barry University Buccaneers. Coverage begins at 4:00 p.m.
GAMEDAY MULTIMEDIA: Fans may watch all home games and Sunshine State Conference contests on TampaSpartans.tv. Live stats are also available through TampaStats.com. Follow UT Athletics: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
Text Alerts: UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
Front Row: Download the official app of UT Athletics on the Apple or Android store. Look for the Tampa Spartans Front Row app to receive notifications from your favorite Spartan teams. The app is completely free.