TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 14 University of Tampa Spartans UPSET the No. 10 Wingate University Bulldogs by a final score of 13-6 in the first round of the NCAA tournament. This is Tampa's sixth consecutive NCAA tournament appearance. Last season the Spartans faltered in the first round.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UT Spartans 13, WU Bulldogs 6
Records: Tampa (15-5), Wingate (13-4)
Location: Naimoli Family Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans lead the all-time series with the Bulldogs 3-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans shut out the Bulldogs in the first period 5-0.
- Bryan Wright netted the first goal of the game off the assist by Jake Mosher McGraw.
- With 5:42 left in the first, SSC Player of the Year, Andrew Kew, scored his first of the night for the Spartans.
- Chris Cox then earned Tampa's third goal with 4:06 remaining in the period.
- Colin White then drained a goal off the pass by Harry Kilkowski.
- The final goal of the first period was netted by Mosher McGraw off the assist by Vetter.
- UT scored twice in the second period.
- The first goal came from Vetter.
- The second goal came from Wright.
- Finally, Wingate netted their first goal of the contest with 1:53 left in the first half.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Bulldogs 7-1.
- To start the second half, Vetter scored his second goal of the contest with 11:23 left in the period.
- After winning the faceoff, Ross Dickerson then charged down the field, netting a goal that gave Tampa the 9-1 lead.
- Wingate then scored the last three goals of the period.
- At the end of the third period, Tampa held the lead over Wingate 9-4.
- The Wingate Bulldogs netted the first two goals of the final period.
- Then Matt Vetter scored back-to-back goals for the Spartans giving them the 11-6 lead with 7:52 left in the contest. Vetter's first goal was assisted by Kilkowski.
- Andrew Kewscored his second goal of the game with 6:32 on the clock.
- The final goal of the contest was netted by Kansai Garey off the assist by Kew.
- The No. 14 University of Tampa Spartans UPSET the No. 10 Wingate University Bulldogs by a final score of 13-6.
- Tampa will advance to the NCAA Quarterfinals against No. 1 Limestone on Saturday, May 11thin Gaffney, S.C.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Matt Vetterpowered the Spartans offense with four goals and one assist.
- Both Bryan Wright and Andrew Kew had two goals in the contest.
- Defensively, senior captain, Luke Robideaux had a team-high of two caused turnovers and one ground ball.
- Also on defense, fellow senior captain, Jack Tyrrell had one caused turnover and two ground balls.
- Ross Dickerson went 15-18 from the faceoff X, while Devon Hess went 3-4.
- Bryan Karn faced 21 shots in the goal and stated 15 saves on the night.
UP NEXT: The Spartans will travel to Gaffney, S.C. where they will take on No. 1 Limestone in the NCAA Quarterfinals on Saturday, May 11th. Should the Spartans win this, the NCAA Semifinal will take place on Sunday, May 19th.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP: A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS: UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.