TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa men's and women's swimming teams hosted Eastern Illinois University in a rain-soaked dual meet on Saturday in the first event of the New Year.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Men's Final: No. 14 Tampa Spartans 126, Eastern Illinois Panthers 58
Women's Final: No. 8 Tampa Spartans 116, Eastern Illinois Panthers 69
Location: UT Aquatics Center | Tampa, Fla.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The meet totaled 20 events, including 10 for the men and 10 for the women.
- Tampa's women took first in seven of the races as EIU took the lone relay race.
- The Spartan men took nine first-place finishes, including the lone relay.
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN):
- UT took first in the 200 Medley Relay. A time of 1:36.68 came from Adam Stumpf, Austin Simpson, Luke Hene and Kevin Vu.
- Hugo Bustamante took gold in the 200 Free in 1:46.72. He was followed by teammates Andreas Johnsen and Aaron James in the top three. Bustamante would win his second race of the day with a first in the 100 Back after being timed at 54.23.
- Brian Daugherty won the 50 Back after finishing with a time of 24.49.
- The 50 Breast went to Brett Saunders in a time of 26.67.
- Winning the 100 Fly was Tampa's George Jabbour in 52.94.
- Jared Fitzgerald won the 50 Free after being clocked at 21.83.
- Tampa's Marvin Slanschek won the 100 Free with a time of 47.67.
- Brian Valedon finished the 500 Free with a first-place time of 4:49.94.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN):
- Freshman Juliana Carey was the fastest swimmer in the 50 Back at 29.20. She would later take first in the 100 Back with a time of 1:01.27.
- Elizaveta Bazarova finished ahead of teammate Alli McFarland in the 50 Breast with a time of 30.07. Julia Augustsson was third in the event.
- UT's Courtney Sherwood took first in the 100 Fly at 59.12. Fellow Spartans Anja Oca and Madelaine Lauger were second and third.
- Hana van Loock championed the 50 Free in 24.58 ahead of Molly O'Hara and Maureen Moore. van Loock also took first in the 100 Free at 53.75.
- Jessie Tobin was the winner of the 500 Free in 5:14.84.
Tampa returns to action on Friday at Florida Tech. The meet will start at 2 p.m., in Melbourne, Fla.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.