DENVER, Colo. – The No. 1-ranked University of Tampa volleyball team wrapped up play at the 2019 Colorado Premier Classic with a pair of losses to No. 11 Ferris State and co-host Metro State.
HOW IT HAPPENED MATCH ONE
In a battle of nationally-ranked teams, Ferris State prevailed by the slimmest of margins in the first two sets by scores of 26-24 and 31-29. The Bulldogs finished the three-set sweep of the nation's top team with a 25-19 triumph in the third set.
HOW IT HAPPENED MATCH TWO
In the final match of the tournament, co-host Metro State avenged a 25-20 first set loss to win 3-1. The Roadrunners took the following sets by scores of 25-14, 25-21 and 25-12. Metro State improved a .088 first set hitting percentage to marks of .333, .407 and .591 in the following sets. The Spartans committed 28 hitting errors compared to just 12 for the Roadrunners. Metro State also had a 10-0 advantage in service aces.
INSIDE THE STATS
- Three Spartans were in double figures in kills with freshman Mackenzie Dufresne leading the way with 13 to go with a .500 hitting percentage. Sorrel Houghton added 11 kills while Katie McKiel had 10.
- Nicole Dominguez led the defensive effort with a team-high 18 digs.
- Houghton and McKiel finished with double-doubles as they added 14 and 13 digs respectively.
- Claudia Rivera finished with 10 digs.
- McKiel and Houghton led the way with 16 and 15 kills respectively.
- Dominguez had 14 digs while setter Sammy Mueller added 11 to go with her team-leading 32 assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- Tampa has now met four nationally-ranked opponents in 2019, going 2-2 with wins over No. 17 Central Missouri and No. 5 Concordia-St. Paul.
- The Spartans are now 4-4 on the year.
- UT returned to the Premier for the first time since 2017 after not attending last season.
UT will return home for the start of Sunshine State Conference play on Friday as they host Eckerd College at 7 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AN EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.